Advisors ReportsAdvisors Reports
  • News
  • Editorial
  • Feature
  • Special Report
  • Oil & Gas
    • Upstream
    • Midstream
    • Downstream
  • Power
    • Generation
    • Distribution
    • Transmission
  • Renewables
    • Solar
    • Nuclear
    • Hydrogen
  • Extractive Industry
  • Maritime
Search

Archives

  • February 2026
  • January 2026
  • December 2025
  • November 2025
  • October 2025
  • September 2025
  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024

Categories

  • Advertorial
  • Concession
  • Distribution
  • Documentary
  • Downstream
  • Editorial
  • Energy Transition
  • Environment
  • Extractive Industry
  • Feature
  • Finance
  • Gas
  • Generation
  • Green Finance
  • Hospitality
  • Hydrogen
  • Hydroplant
  • Impact
  • Interview
  • Local Content
  • Maritime
  • Midstream
  • Mining
  • Mining & Solid Mineral
  • Multilateral Finance
  • News
  • Nuclear
  • Oil
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oil theft
  • Opinion-editorial
  • Photo News
  • Power
  • Renewables
  • Review
  • Sabotage
  • Security
  • Service Company
  • Solar
  • Special Project
  • Special Report
  • Sustainability
  • Technology
  • Transmission
  • Upstream
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: PENGASSAN urges Tinubu to withdraw oil and gas revenue EO over “inaccurate briefings”
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Advisors ReportsAdvisors Reports
Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
NewsOil & GasSabotageSpecial ProjectUpstream

PENGASSAN urges Tinubu to withdraw oil and gas revenue EO over “inaccurate briefings”

admin
admin
Share
6 Min Read
SHARE

… warns directive could spook investors, undermine PIA, threaten 4,000 NNPC Ltd jobs

 

“That is an aberration” – Usifo  vows tougher action, if Tinubu retains the Order

 

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Oredola Adeola

The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) has urged President Bola Tinubu to withdraw and review the recent Executive Order on the remittance of oil and gas revenues to the Federation Account over what it described as inaccurate briefings.

PENGASSAN has therefore warned that the directive sends the wrong signal to investors, could erode international confidence in the Petroleum Industry Act (2021), and may put about 4,000 NNPC Limited workers at risk of redundancy if allowed to stand.

Comrade Festus Usifo, President of PENGASSAN, made the call during a media engagement on the subject held Friday in Lagos.

He said, “We understand that the President has the constitutional right to issue Executive Orders and that government has a duty to safeguard the industry.

“However, in this case we believe he was misled. We strongly believe his advisers did not fully inform him of the consequences.

“This is a President who has travelled across the world to attract investment and who previously worked in the oil and gas industry with ExxonMobil. If he had been exposed to the entire truth regarding this EO, he would have acted otherwise,” Usifo said.

According to him, an Executive Order cannot supersede the law of the land, it cannot override statutory provisions or invalidate existing laws enacted by the National Assembly.

“Sections 8, 9 and 64 of the PIA are clear.”

He said, “What has been done amounts to setting aside an Act of the Federal Republic.  That is an aberration and should never happen.

“If this is allowed to stand, the international community will lose confidence in the PIA and may conclude that at any time the Executive can nullify provisions safeguarding their investments. The signaling is faulty and completely incorrect,” he noted.

Usifo further explained that some provisions in the Order also do not reflect the full facts, adding that it was stated that 30 percent from Production Sharing Contracts goes to NNPC Limited, but that is not correct.

“The actual percentage that eventually gets to NNPC is below two percent; the calculations are there. Likewise, the claim that 30 percent of the Frontier Exploration Fund goes directly to NNPC is inaccurate.

“Those funds go into designated accounts, not into NNPC directly. It is also wrong to assume royalties go into the personal account of Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) those revenues go into the Federal Government account.

The PENGASSAN President further noted that beyond wrong signaling, the association is deeply concerned because its members working with NNPC—about 4,000 Nigerians—could be on the verge of redundancy in the coming months if this stands, as management may be unable to meet obligations.

He said, “That would create serious industrial relations challenges in the sector.

“This is why we believe some of the information presented to the President was inaccurate, and we urge him to recall the Order and review it.

“We know he has worked hard to attract investment into the industry, and we should not allow one Executive Order to undermine the progress made since the PIA was enacted in August 2021,” Osifo noted.

He further mentioned that there are already challenges facing SMEs since the Naira is grossly undervalued.

The PENGASSAN President said, “If we want inflation to reduce, we must lower FX costs and allow the naira to appreciate. Oil and gas foreign exchange earnings remain a major revenue source.

“If the industry declines, the limited revenue generated will be used merely to defend the naira, which will erode workers’ purchasing power.

“Even the ₦70,000 minimum wage will lose value if production drops, rig counts fall, and FX earnings shrink,” he said.

Usifo emphasised that the EO is not just an attack on workers in the oil and gas industry; it is a direct threat to Nigeria’s economy.

“We are professionals in this industry and understand the full implications of these reforms. Government may seek more revenue, but the approach could end up yielding less because it risks discouraging investment.

“International investors need certainty, clarity of laws, and predictable operating frameworks. They will not invest in an environment where rules are unclear or subject to sudden change,” he noted.

Speaking on the next steps if the President fails to withdraw the Order, Usifo noted that further engagement would follow, saying:

“This is just the first phase of our response. We do not act on impulse; we will engage with the government and relevant stakeholders over the coming week, after which our National Executive Council will convene to determine the next course of action.”

“Since our founding in 1970, PENGASSAN has defended this industry, which has been the backbone of Nigeria’s economy and has largely supported infrastructure, healthcare, and national development.” he noted.

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article KEDCO spends ₦500m to boost power supply in Katsina
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Posts

  • PENGASSAN urges Tinubu to withdraw oil and gas revenue EO over “inaccurate briefings”
  • KEDCO spends ₦500m to boost power supply in Katsina
  • Experts hail Tinubu’s oil and gas revenue EO as major fiscal reform to boost statutory remittances
  • Future of oil and gas is digital, low-carbon – Ekpenyong warns next generation of energy talent
  • Tinubu signs new Executive Order, redirects 30% mgt. fee, 30% exploration fund to federation account

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Follow US
© 2022 AdvisorsReports. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?